Monday, April 10, 2017

Research Blog #9: Argument and Counter-Argument

Originally, the major counterargument against my topic was that gap years are only an option for the to affluent students, in which I believed was false, being that my research provided me with evidence that there were many options for financially backed gap year programs. However, this counterargument has sort of morphed into a supporting idea in my new topic. It has come to my attention that despite university programs with financial aid and corporations like Americorps, gap year programs are dominated by middle class students. So, it seems that wealth is a huge factor in the demographics of those participating. This counterargument-turned supporting argument-is going to play a huge roll in my research pertaining to two major ideas. The first being that is the identity work and cultural capital gained during the gap year an opportunity for affluent students only, and furthermore, is it widening the gap between upper/middle class students and those from the working class. 

Relevant Sources:

No comments:

Post a Comment