Monday, April 10, 2017

Research Blog #8: Case

My case has shifted from a very broad summarization of a wide range of aspects pertaining to the “gap year” to a more specific and unique point. In my research I am exploring the opportunity for students to undergo immense identity work while also gaining social skills and connections as well as other forms of cultural capital, throughout their experience. It is obvious that the gap year can be a time for travel, work experience, saving money and much more. However, is it also a time to possibly gain a leg up on other students when returning to academic life and further on career searches? The identity work and cultural capital that students who participate in gap years acquire is undoubtably beneficial. But, is taking a gap year and further gaining these qualities an equal opportunity for all? In my paper, I am also looking into the possibility that privatization of universities and a possible lack of funding in the near future (under the new Trump administration) for gap year programs, is and will continue to act as an advantage for more affluent students.

I have gathered a few cases that explain the concepts of identity work and cultural capital as well as specific examples of students who portray these ideas. I have also looked into resources pertaining to the idea of the obvious (and growing) social stratification between students from various financial backgrounds that can be applied to my gap year research. 

Some useful links:




No comments:

Post a Comment